5.9.08

March of the Elephants

So...




I was really impressed with Sarah Palin and McCain's speeches. I wasn't sure what to think of McCain before...I mean, I am about 95% Republican, but I wasn't feelin' the vibe with ol' Johnny. I wanted someone more dynamic that could really draw attention (and independants) the way Obama does, and here we pick this geriatric, generic candidate with a trophy wife. Who is going to cross party lines to vote for that? I admit, I was judging them on a very surface level exposure. Then he picks Palin as a running mate. That caught my attention, but only because she is a woman.




Now that I have heard all three of them speak (Mrs. McCain included), a lot has changed. I like how Palin laid it all out there, matter of fact, no appologies. I like how they all live out what they are speaking about. I still don't have warm fuzzies about McCain the man, but I am definitely sold on McCain for President. By that I mean he's not the type of fellow I would want to spend any time with, but I like what he has to say and I BELIEVE him. I like some of the things Obama has to say too, but I just don't believe him. Every time I see him speak, he is the one that is lauded...not his past decisions and future policy. Honestly, I feel like Obama is running for Obama, and McCain is running for the USA. I know that's what they are pushing, and what they 'want us to believe', but I do believe it. His life has shown record of this.




As for Palin, I am totally sold. Her record in Alaska is awesome, and she appears to do what is right without double checking with party policy or special interests first. I just came across a video of her speaking at a private high school graduation. Assuming that everything about it is kosher, she is presented as a born again baptized churchgoing believer. That totally rocks. She is also a little Charismatic, so heads up on that! Anyhow, check it out for yourself, it's worth watching if you want to get to know her a little better.






I am also impressed with both of their families. Family is a big deal to me, and it says a lot about who a person is. Cindy McCain, at first glance, looks like your typical second wife. Upon further investigation, she is much more than that. I feel awful for judging her on her appearance. She is devoted to charity work (even before the public eye was on her) and is a successful businesswoman. Both McCain and Palin's families have their fair share of issues, but they are all up front about their mistakes (unwed teen pregnancy, painkiller addiction...) and they accept the consequences of their actions.




Oh...one more thing. I love the attack elephant!




Anyhow, I am not the best for political commentary, but I wanted to share how I was feeling thus far in the race to the white house. Ciao!!!




No comments: